Long horned bison with a gargantuan hump on its shoulders
Thick fur coat, long, sharp horns, colossal hump on shoulders, poor eyesight, social, aggressive when cornered
2.27 meters (7.44 feet)
4.6 meters (15.09 feet)
2 tons (4,409 pounds)
Late Pliocene to Early Holocene
2 MYA to 5.4 TYA
Temporal fossil range
Six feet tall at the hump. The Steppe Bison weighs more than 1 ton.
— Allen, describing Steppe Bison
The Steppe Bison, (name meaning “Modest Ox”) or Steppe Wisent (Bison priscus), is a species of bison that originated during the Late Pliocene in what is now North America, Europe, and Asia. They had notoriously longer horns than both European and American bison.
In the Series 3 finale “Mammoth Undertaking Journey“, a herd of a dozen Steppe Bison and their babies were brought back to the park from Late Pleistocene Alaska 150,000 years ago. They reside in the Mammoth Grasslands Enclosure.
Era & Description
Steppe Bison lived in what is now Europe, and North America during the Late Pliocene to Late Pleistocene from 2 million years ago to 10,000 years ago. They were first discovered in Siberia in 1827 by Ludwig Heinrich Bojanus. Steppe Bison coexisted animals like Aurochs, Smilodon, Megaloceros, Arctotherium, Arctodus, Hagerman Horse, Cave Lions, Cave Hyenas, Dire Wolves, Elasmotherium, Woolly Rhinoceros, American Mastodon, and even the mighty Columbian and Woolly Mammoths. They also coexisted with humans like Neanderthals and Cro-Magnons.
The Steppe Bison had a thick coat to keep them warm during the winter and had long horns for fighting for mates. They had poor eyesight so it could see very well just like Woolly Rhinoceros and Elasmotherium.
Behavior & Traits
Steppe Bison lived in herds like modern-day bison. They can be aggressive during the mating season just like Woolly Mammoths.
Steppe Bison were Considerably larger than their modern day relative. The male were larger than female and were built to fight other males. They
— Allen, in his Journal, about the Steppe Bison
- The sound effects were that if typical bison, as well as buffalo, cattle, yak, and moose sound effects.
- The Steppe Bison is the largest bovine to be brought to the park.
A Steppe Bison being brought down a Smilodon
A Steppe Bison being hunted by a group of Neanderthals
- Du lịch Tây Ninh: 15 địa điểm du lịch “độc đáo” thu hút nhiều người
- Khách sạn nhà nghỉ tại Thành phố Lào Cai, Lào Cai (Cập nhật 01/2022)
- Giải Tin học 6 Bài thực hành tổng hợp: Du lịch ba miền | Kết nối tri thức, Cánh diều, Chân trời sáng tạo Soạn Tin học 6
- Top 13 đặt phòng khách sạn gần hồ gươm mới nhất năm 2022
- Top 9 Khách sạn, homestay có hồ bơi đẹp nhất tại Hội An